Thursday 1 March 2012

Middle East Cuisine @ Al Agrahbah - Grace Point Food Court


Being a lover of Kebabs I had high hopes for Al Agrabah at Grace Point Food Court. We were really excited when we came across this newly opened stall as we feel that this style of cooking is missing from KK's food scene. Unlike KL where there is definitely an Arabic food presence.
There's quite a varied menu from kebabs to set meals, I opted for their Kofta Kebab. Ground beef mixed with spices and skewered on sticks then grilled. I have to say I was a little bit disappointed, they were spicy enough but that was all. As the Little Nibbler said 'it's like beefburger with chilli mixed in'. There was no depth of flavour coming through apart from the chilli, if they used other spices I couldn't really taste them. 
Another thing was the bread, microwaved! Now this really is a no no, one of the great things about Middle Eastern/Arabic food is their bread, from pittas to flat breads, freshly made and griddled. If not freshly made then at least griddled, definitely not microwaved! I'm pleased to say the yoghurt dip was good and had a cooling effect.



The Shish Tawouk was better, chunks of marinated chicken skewered with green pepper and tomatoes. Again the only thing that let this dish down was the bread! 


We really enjoyed these, Samboosa which I guess is another word for Samosa. Deep fried pastry triangles filled with cheese. A great little side dish or snack.


Oh dear, I hate to say this but the Falafal were terrible. They just didn't taste right, I can't put my finger on it but they just tasted strange. I have my suspicions that the microwave was involved somewhere here too.


Al Agrahbah the shop with no name!



The Bill : 1x Kofta Kebab     10
                                                                                  1x Shish Tawouk  10
                                                                                  1x Samboosa         6
                                                                                  1x Falafal               6

                                                                       Total : 32MYR

I know microwaves have a place in kitchens and restaurants but they should be used wisely, in Al Agrahbah's case they should possibly be thrown out! I'm sure their food would greatly benefit from it. Even though my initial visit wasn't the best, I am going to return as the other dishes on the menu look and sound great. Hopefully these are just a few teething problems as I think Al Agrahbah shows a lot of promise. My advice would be to make their own flat breads and watch the crowds of happy diners grow!

1 comment:

  1. hi sir... we are the new middle east stall at grac point.. 1 arab station... we hope u can come & try our food.... u can come n try our falafel... we serve turkish pide... and we promise u no microwave involved... find u on facebook... 1 arab station.

    ReplyDelete