Monday 28 January 2013

Arabic Food @ Al Andalus Arabic Restaurant - Warisan Square


At last my food prayers have been answered, delicious, authentic, Arabic food, right here in the heart of KK. I couldn't be happier!!! For me it's all about kebabs, wonderful flat breads, salads, hummus and lamb, but shock horror, there's much more to Arabic cuisine than this and the menu at Al Andalus turned up some never heard before dishes, that I can't wait to try!


To kick start our meal we decided to try the Hummus Beiruti, a lovely, creamy hummus with the addition of fresh parsley, dressed with olive oil and chick peas.


Initially we were only going to have one starter but then this dish, Moutabel caught my eye. It's pretty similar to Baba Ghanoush were aubergines or eggplant are roasted till soft then mashed with various seasonings and of course olive oil to produce a delicious fresh tasting dip.


Yummy pittas drizzled with olive oil were perfect for scooping up the awesome Arabic starters.


Did I mention I love kebabs? No? Surely! Well there could only be one choice for me on this, our first of many visits to Al Andalus. With lamb and chicken shawarma on full view front side of the restaurant, I opted for the Lamb Shawarma Crispy Set, which comes with golden crinkle cut fries and soft drink. I was in heaven eating this! A mound of spiced and seasoned, sliced lamb on top of  freshly cooked flat bread, with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, a heap of fresh parsley, spicy chilli and sour cream sauces accompany the dish to pour over that delicious meat. Wow! I found the best way to tackle this was, firstly, to eat with my hands. Secondly, eat roughly half of it including all the fries, then lastly, fold everything else up in the bread and enjoy! But hey this is my way, I'm sure you too can find what's best for you!


 The Little Nibbler had a dish that I've never heard of before, Smoked Mandy Rice, with a choice of lamb, chicken or fish. Todays choice was juicy, delicious chicken that just fell off the bone with a mild spicy taste. I've been doing some internet research and apparently 'mandi' style of cooking is traditionally done underground in a tandoor type of oven. Now I'm not too sure if the restaurant has holes in their kitchen floor, but maybe next time I'll sneak a look! The rice was tasty and fragrant too, garnished with peanuts, cashews and raisins. This set also comes with a spicy vegetable soup and spicy sauce. Another happy diner!


Al Andalus Arabic Restaurant is located on the outside edge of Warisan Square. Inside the decor is clean and simple using pastel colours to offset the white walls and bright tile work to separate the booths. I really do hope this restaurant does well, if the food is anything to go by, and the standards don't slip, then it rightly deserves to do so! Arabic food isn't really catered for here in KK as it is in KL and I think it's a great shame. Support your local Arabic restaurant!
 

Check out our Arabic feast!
 

The Bill : 1x Hummus, 1x Mountabel, 1x Crispy Set, 1x Mandy Rice, 1x Ice Lemon Tea = 48 MYR

Killer kebabs and more, right here in the heart of KK!

6 comments:

  1. Where is this restaurant situated in KK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's located in Warisan Square, which is between Centre Point shopping centre and the waterfront. It's on the outside edge so you should be able to see the Api - Api Centre (McDonalds). The road is called Jalan Duah Puluh. Another good landmark is Myne Hotel, it's literally next door, also the newly opened Oyster Bar. If all else fails click on the location tab above and zoom in : )
    Happy Chomping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this article! Im now at this restaurant! Thanks keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pls bg price mkanan d al andulusia..ada mknan pakej utk big family..kira2 brpa bajet klu mkan dlm 5 org.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, we are definitely eating there on our next trip to KK. Actually its just an hour' s drive.

    ReplyDelete