Thursday 19 July 2012

Indian Food @ Tandoori Palace - Kuching


Tandoori Lamb Sheek Kebab.........

Mmmm well actually it wasn't! 
When the dish arrived at the table I asked the waiter what it was and he replied "Lamb Sheek" When I challenged him on this, replying that it wasn't lamb but infact chicken, he wandered off and another member of staff arrived asking "What is the problem, Sir." I said that there wasn't a problem, it's just that I had ordered lamb and received chicken to which he replied "Oh no sir, this is lamb!" Which it quite obviously wasn't, the main reason being, that lamb is 'red' meat and chicken is 'white' and my kebab was most definitely white! After further investigations with the waiter he eventually told me that they use a  mix of lamb and chicken because "lamb doesn't stick to the skewer!" Now this, I know, is  complete nonsense! Firstly, I've cooked lamb sheek myself on the barbecue at home! Secondly I've eaten lamb sheek many times in England, as well as in India! At this point The Little Nibbler was speachless and couldn't believe her ears!!! But there was no way that this was a mix of meats either, so I looked him in the eye and said "But this is chicken, isn't it?" To which he conceded "Yes" and walked away!!! Now what I don't understand is, if they didn't have any lamb why not come over and just tell me so, then I could have made another choice, simple! Instead they tried to pass off a more expensive meat for a cheaper one. Also I guess we were 'just tourists!' I really should have asked for a discount on my bill, but hey, I don't like to cause trouble! 


Tandoori Fish Tikka

Thankfully the fish was fish! Quite tasty though the fish itself was a little mushy. Not sure which fish they use but a meatier variety would work much better.


Palak Paneer

This is The Little Nibbler's favourite dish in an Indian restaurant, mildly, spiced, spinach curry with Indian cheese. This was pretty good.


Onion Bahjee

These were great, deep fried, sliced onion in a mildly spiced batter.


The naan were very good too!


Mango Lassi

A perfect drink to go with spicy Indian food!


Tandoori Palace occupies the sweeping corner at Leboh Wayang, you really cant miss it!


Outside eating area.



The Bill : 1x Tandoori Lamb (Oh no, I mean Chicken!) Sheek Kebab, 1x Tandoori Fish Tikka, 1x Palak Paneer, 1x Onion Bahjee, 1x Naan, 1x Plain Rice = 81.40 MYR

Even though they tried to pull a fast one, I really enjoyed the food at Tandoori Palace! The Little Nibbler was less impressed! A great improvement in customer service is much needed I think.
And why didn't I ask for a discount!!!

7 comments:

  1. my don't worry ....we learned from mistakes .....now come and try our food i think u will change ur mind and comments on our food ......don't worry juz introduce urself u will have ur discount .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are greatfull for ur comments .....atleast u r the one person who want us to be perfect .....i would really love to have lunch or dinner with u

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the offer, maybe next time I'm in Kuching.
    I would like to add though, incase there is any misunderstanding, I for one did enjoy your food and found it very tasty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nasi Champor from Jesselton,

    I read your pathetic situation in a restaurant. When you visit a restaurant we all expect a 100% palatable food and the best service from the staff. When we order the food it must be authentically prepared with all ingredients what is described in the menu. Failure to do should not be acceptable. This restaurant only has 3 months experience behind them. Perhaps, when you make your next visit to Kuching may I suggest you try to visit real authentic North Indian restaurant, Lyn's Thandoori Restaurant in Jalan Song Thian Cheok, Kuching. They have nearly 20 years of experience in providing authentic North Indian cuisine, I should say they were one of the pioneers in the food business in Kuching. Try you will never get disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that if you go to TripAdvisor website, world's travel website where you can see one Indian restaurant, Lyn's Thandoori Restaurant has been rated the best Indian restaurant in Kuching.

    Try there man. I am very sure you will not get disappointed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your recommendation I'll be sure to try both restaurants next time I'm in Kuching.

    ReplyDelete