Tuesday 23 October 2012

Penang Asam Laksa @ Kedai Kopi Maxim - Hilltop


Last time I was in Hilltop I noticed that Kedai Kopi Maxim had a large sign outside advertising 'Penang Flavour' and Asam Laksa. Having only ever sampled Penang Asam Laksa once before,I thought it was time to try another, and also introduce The Little Nibbler to new flavours. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed with the laksa that was served to us. Now taste wise for me it was quite good, sour and very spicy, the problem comes from the ingredients or lack of them in my opinion. Now I'm no expert but I've done some research and from what I can gather pineapple and cucumber are key ingredients to a Penang Asam Laksa - both were absent from the dish. Also there was hardly any fish in the broth, no chunks as such just a small amount of tiny flakes. Now I'm not sure if the dish was lacking because of the time we visited, around 11am, which I know can be quite late for some Laksa stalls (in which case 'habis' should have greeted my request) or they just don't use pineapple or cucumber in their ingredients, but I think the soup would greatly improve all round if they were to be added. A little more fish would be appreciated too!


Kitchai Ping and Kopi C Ping.
 

Kedai Kopi Maxim is located next door to Pick N Pay, it's undergone a refurbishment since I last visited for Chinese BBQ Rice, which I have to say was really good! The coffee shop is bright and very clean.
 


The Bill : 2x Penang Asam Laksa, 1x Kitchai Ping, 1x Kopi C Ping = 14 MYR

With 3 vendors operating out of Kedai Kopi Maxim there's plenty of reasons to return!

1 comment: