Sunday 19 February 2012

Kari Kambing Gear Box @ Restoran Salim - Lintas Plaza


If like me you thought 'Gear Box' was something you found under the bonnet of a Kancil, then think again! It is in fact according to Restoran Salim 'leg or shank' and in this case Goat Shank, more importantly Goat Shank Curry. Not that I had any idea of this when I headed to Salim, in search of their wonderful Tandoori Chicken Tikka and Naans. 
Upon sitting down we saw the big sign advertising Tham Biryani and Kari Kambing Gear Box, we looked at each other, then back at the sign, then back at each other again wondering what on earth was Gear Box? But with Tikka on our minds we placed our order and carried on wondering. It wasn't until we found out that Chicken Tikka was 'habis' that the Little Nibbler's curiosity won over and had to go take a look! I on the other hand changed my order to Tandoori Chicken and Plain Naan, when the Nibbler returned, carrying two huge plates the mystery finally revealed itself. On one the Kari Kambing Gear Box on the other a lovely looking Tham Biryani.
Goat is a meat we don't tend to eat too much of in the UK, in fact I don't think I've ever eaten it back home, I've mainly eaten it on my travels in India and here in Malaysia. I have to say eating such a large piece on the bone is slightly off-putting, I think mainly because it's so unfamiliar to me, but to be fair it didn't put me off too much, as together we finished off every last tasty piece. It was very well cooked and obviously slow cooked in curry spices as the meat was very tender.


The Tham Biryani was very generous and had quite a unique taste to other Biryani's I've tried, which I just can't put my finger on! It had big chunks of chicken, veggies and cashews all mildly spiced, goes great with the kambing curry sauce.


With no Tandoori Chicken Tikka available I opted for 'on the bone' chicken or plain old Tandoori Chicken, though there's nothing plain about Tandoori Chicken from Salim, in my opinion the best Tandoori Chicken in KK. So juicy and cooked to perfection, their Tikka is fab by the way (watch this space for a review).


Now don't get me started on the Naan! If you want to know how Naan bread should really taste just head to Salim's, again for me the best Naan I've tasted in KK!
With a little confusion over the order we ended up with two, oh well never mind! On the left Plain Naan on the right Garlic Cheese Naan.


Teh Tarik comes 'layered'



Restoran Salim is located at Lintas Plaza the sign says twenty four hours opening. I'm not too sure if this is a Sunday special menu but when we arrived at eight in the evening it was almost finished. Arrive earlier to avoid disappointment. 



The Bill : 1x Kari Kambing Gear Box, 1x Tham Biryani, 1x Tandoori Chicken, 1x Plain Naan, 1x Garlic Cheese Naan, 1x Teh Tarik, 1x Ice Blended Orange Juice = 34 MYR

Restoran Salim for me is all about Tandoori, Tandoori, Tandoori! The Chicken and Naan breads are the best in KK! 
You really should give them a try and you never know you might get surprised by something called Gear Box!

No comments:

Post a Comment